The Knight 7

The Knight 7

Friday, October 12, 2012

Lost and Found: James' Story


Today, Bradley and I became the parents of a 2-year-old boy named James.  Here is the miraculous story of how the Lord brought him to us.

In April of 2011, a woman by the name of Halai Agatha was digging for produce in the brush of far eastern Uganda…right on the border of Kenya.  While looking for food for her family, she found a baby boy abandoned underneath a coffee bean shrub.  He was very small – he couldn’t walk or talk.  She immediately took him back to her house in the village of Muzetati (in the Manafwa district) and began inquiring after who he belonged to.  Agatha and her husband, Michael, already had 8 children of their own, whom they could not afford to feed.  Michael was not keen to the idea of taking in a new baby, however temporary the circumstances may be.  Due to the rural location of their village, any inquiries regarding the baby’s parents were made on foot and took many days to complete.  During the tenure of over a year, the baby stayed with Agatha and her children while investigations were ongoing. 

Agatha named the baby Mumwata James.  Mumwata – meaning “abandoned one.”

Michael (a polygamist Muslim) became extremely hostile toward James and Agatha.  While there is no written statement that he physically abused James, I am absolutely certain that he did.  And I know for a fact that he abuses Agatha to this very day.  The situation got so bad that at one point, he threw Agatha and all 8 of her children out of their house.  The police got involved and forced him to accept them all back.

The presence of this little baby boy caused immeasurable grief.

During this time, the Manafwa District probation officer, Issah, got in touch with Emma and learned about a certain family in Texas looking to adopt a baby boy.  The situation at Agatha’s house had become so stressful, and James had become so ill, that Issah gave Emma special permission to take James back to Kampala to live with him until we could arrive. 

This move proved to be a life-saving occurrence.  Due to the extreme malnourishment that James faced in Muzetati, along with the lack of proper clothing, shelter, and medical treatment, James developed a severely low immune system and became susceptible to every kind of illness he came in contact with.  His little body had absolutely no defense mechanism.  Dr. Emma was able to treat him and get him the best medical care possible.

Emma says that when James first came to live with him, he was terrified of men.  Which makes sense.  The only man he had ever really known was extremely hostile towards him.  Men could not be trusted.  James wanted nothing to do with Bradley during the first week we had him, either.

By the time we arrived in Kampala 6 weeks ago to begin this journey, James had been hospitalized for several days due to acute malaria, bacterial infection, and jaundice.  Here are some pictures of us meeting James for the first time at the hospital:






The first week or so of having James in our care was honestly a complete nightmare.  Having spent several weeks in Emma’s home and experiencing true love and care for the first time…James wanted nothing to do with us.  All he wanted was Emma.  We knew that attachment would take some time and we weren’t really discouraged – we were just sad for him.  At our hotel, James would stand by the door and just wait for somebody to open it so he could leave.  He looked perpetually sad.  He never smiled or laughed.  And why would he?  Up until this point in his little life, he had no reason to laugh or smile.  Life was not fun for little James.

Here is a picture of his very first bath with us.  And nap time with a tuckered out mommy.




During the first week we had him, we took the trip up to the village of Muzetati to get several documents signed and to meet Agatha.  I was not prepared for the heartache of this meeting.  As soon as James saw Agatha, he ran to her and she held him tightly.  It was obvious that she loved this boy.  She had endured so much for him already.  Through an interpreter, she retold the story of finding him under the coffee bush and keeping him in her house despite her husband’s threats and abuse.  She told me how happy she was that James would have a good home and that he would get to live in America.  I was absolutely torn up over this.  When it was time to leave, I made Emma take James out of her arms…there was no way on earth I was taking him away from her. 

This was the first time I saw James cry.

And he cried for about an hour.  And I let him.  I held him and I didn’t try to make him stop.  I have never and probably will never experience the grief and confusion and terror this little 2-year-old boy felt that day.  I don’t know what it’s like to be abandoned in the jungle.  I don’t know what it’s like to be rescued, only to find that your new environment is hostile and dangerous.  I don’t know what it’s like to have a strange white woman take you from the only “mother” you’ve ever known.  I don’t know what it’s like to be unsure of where your next meal will come from.  But James knows all of these things too well.

Over the last few weeks, James has become extremely attached to me and Bradley.  He calls us “Mama” and “Dada” and is very affectionate with us.  He treats his sister, Jolie, with kindness.  He loves being a big brother!  He knows the names of all of his big sisters at home in Texas.  He loves skyping with our family.  He now plays, laughs, and smiles often, and is a generally happy little boy.  He still has moments of extreme grief and intense crying.  We deal with each of these moments as they come.  He still has a deep-rooted fear of abandonment.  He freaks out any time I leave the room.  There is much healing that needs to take place.






Agatha has made several trips to Kampala to assist us with James’ court dates.  She has always been very kind and compliant.  Every time I see her, I am reminded of the faithfulness of God in my life.  My husband does not beat me.  My husband only has one wife.  My husband is an amazing father to our children.  My husband is not an alcoholic.  My husband is an excellent provider for his family.  Thank You, Jesus.  I was completely blown away the last time she was in town…James preferred me over her.  He actually wanted nothing to do with her.  I couldn’t believe it.  It grieved me for Agatha’s sake…she had sacrificed so much for this little boy.  Here is a picture of the 2 of them together during her last trip to Kampala:



James’ story is my story.  It is your story.  It is a glaring picture of what we were before Christ rescued us.  Lost, abandoned, neglected, sick, alone, distraught, fearful, naked, abused, hungry.  Christ, in His unending love, sought us out.  He fought for us.  He found us.  He rescued us.  He clothed us.  He fed us.  He paid the highest price for us.  He traded our sorrow for His joy.  He traded our ashes for His beauty.  He traded our mourning for His dancing.  He adopted us into His forever family and gave us a rich inheritance in Him. 

I am James.  You are James.

God sent Bradley and I from our comfortable existence in Plano, TX, to the middle-of-nowhere Uganda to rescue this precious little boy because he has a sacred calling on his life.  James – you are no longer called Mumwata, “abandoned one.”  You are now called Akanonda – “God has chosen me.”  God has chosen you, little boy.  You now belong to the Knight family.  You now have a great heritage of faith on both sides of your family.  The Knight men and the Allen men are all servants of the Most High God.  You have been chosen to follow in their footsteps.  You will be raised as a mighty warrior for the Kingdom.  You are destined for greatness.

Dearest friends – allow me to introduce you to our son, James William Akanonda Knight.  James happens to be my mother’s maiden name.  William is Bradley’s mother’s maiden name.  And Akanonda is his Ugandan name…because God has chosen him.

“For the Lord your God has chosen you for His treasured possession…” 
– Deuteronomy 7:6


15 comments:

  1. Holly, this is such an amazing story of God's amazing love, sacrifice and redemption. How blessed you and Bradley are to have been chosen to be part of His work here on earth and in the life of these precious children. I recently reread your blog from the beginning and marvel at the work God has done in your life. Thank you for being faithful to His call and for sharing this life-changing experience with so many. I can't wait to meet James and Jolie soon when visiting with Christy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing this beautiful, beautiful story!!

    Hope to see you all very soon back in the US!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's so good. My ten year old son asked me the other day after we prayed for you guys - "where is his real mother? why doesnt' he have parents?" ...this will really help me to explain that.

    Good stuff Holly. That is great news.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for sharing this story, James' story, your story, God's story. I have been in prayer for you since I have since I have seen the posts on FB and I look forward to reading about the life changing stories you and your expanded family will share with us to encourage us on our journey w/the Lord.

    God Bless you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Holly, I am WRECKED after hearing the story of sweet James. You are so right, his story is the story of us all. He is a blessed little boy to be a part of your family.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful, moving story! I worked with your wonderful mother-in-law last year, and she shared your amazing story with us. I am totally in tears after reading your story, and I am so thrilled for James. I am also so thankful for all of you that James has adjusted so well to your family and that he looks so happy. I wish Agatha could be rescued as well, but the knowledge that James is with you will give her peace and joy for the rest of her life. I hope they can meet again some day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Holly, You and Bradley don't know me - I'm "new" to the choir since August - however, I was a charter member of Prestonwood and a part of the original Prestonwood Choir! I have been following your story - there are simply no words to describe to anyone else this incredible and blessed journey! God is so good - and you know that! I have absolutely fallen in love with you and Bradley and your family - thanks so much for your gifts of love to these precious children - thanks so much for your incredible talents that you share with so many - and just simply thanks so much for your love and faith in God!! Cherie (Pierce) Haynes

    ReplyDelete
  8. Holly, you do not know me but I have followed your story via FB. I went to high school with your dad. In fact he sang in our wedding (37 years ago) and your grandfather married us! May God continue to shower you and your precious family with His blrssings! Cheryl Russell

    ReplyDelete
  9. Holly, you do not know me but I have followed your story via FB. I went to high school with your dad. In fact he sang in our wedding (37 years ago) and your grandfather married us! May God continue to shower you and your precious family with His blessings! Cheryl Russell

    ReplyDelete
  10. What an incredible story... thank you for sharing and may God continue to bless your growing family!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Holly,
    I write for a community magazine, that runs throughout TX, Living, www.livingmagazine.net. I'd like to share your story Lost and Found in the Christmas issue. You can call or email me as you have time. michellewallace@suddenlink.net or 972-814-3229.
    Blessings,
    michelle

    ReplyDelete
  12. It is the Lord"s doing. May he continue to bless Jame's new family, protect the woman who picked him from the bushes and forgive the one who abandoned him. he will become a great person, not too long from now.


    Ita Ndam

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a beautiful story of God's mercy!! Your stories of both children's adoptions brought me to tears. Thank you for sharing them! I first saw your story in the Living Magazine for the Rowlett/Rockwall area. May God bless your family!! I'm so thankful those two children are safe with you where they can learn of Christ's love and mercy.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I loved reading your story!
    This is crazy but, here you go....
    I started working at the Pwood CLC in October (after I had my 4th baby) and was a floater in class O (I think), a little girl in the class, her parents were overseas adopting. I thought that was neat. A month or two later I was back in the same class and heard that the adoption had been finalized and everyone was home. Last week I was permanently placed in class JK, I had floated in there several times. I asked one of my co teachers if there were any new students and she told me about this boy James. She told me that he was adopted from Uganda. I thought that was way cool, both of my brother in laws and wives have adopted- from Russia and from Texas. Anyway, as soon as I met James, I fell in love with him! He is the sweetest thing ever! He is so smart and sweet! As the day went on I started piecing together that this was the little boy sibling of Harper K. At nap time as I was trying to get him to fall asleep, I was praying for him and just amazed at how he has an amazing new life here and how blessed he and his family are. That night I went to dinner with some girlfriends and was telling them about this sweet little boy that I wanted to eat up! I said that his family had just adopted him from Uganda, my friend stopped me and asked if his name was James! What?! She told me that her and another friend had been following your blog and she sent me the link. Oh my! What a story you have! I loved reading about your sweet little family and can't wait to meet you in person!
    PS- I hope you don't think I am a crazy stalker, I just love how God works and this week He brought me into the light of your family.
    God Bless-
    Michele :)

    ReplyDelete