The Knight 7

The Knight 7

Monday, April 9, 2012

Jesus, Friend of Sinners

Confession:  I don't listen to Contemporary Christian Music.  Because I don't like it...well, I don't like most of it.  In my (always accurate) opinion, most if it is poorly produced, poorly sung, and sounds like a rip-off of something I've heard on secular radio.  Not a whole lot of creativity involved.  Which you may find laughable because Christian music pays our bills.  The Rock Star's musical masterpieces have never and will never fall into this category of mediocrity.  He can do no wrong.

The thing is - Jesus keeps wanting me to change.

He has asked (commanded) me to "pray continually" (1 Thess 5:17).  This means He wants me to be constantly aware of His presence, constantly listening for His voice, constantly obeying, constantly trusting, constantly praising (see 1 Thess 5:16).  One way that I can do this better is to fill my ears with songs that praise and worship Jesus.

Now everybody just calm down for a minute.

I am in no way saying that I believe listening to secular music is wrong or that I will never again listen to secular music.  To be quite honest, XM Radio's 90's on 9 is my JAM.  Who doesn't love a little Third Eye Blind, Salt 'n Peppa, Fuel, or dare I say, *NSync, and some early Britney and Christina?  (Yeah.  I went there.)  And this album will always be the soundtrack to my 8th grade year:


So today, when I (reluctantly) turned on Dallas' Christian radio station in my car, I was blown over by what I heard.  One of the most genuine, honest, authentic, convicting songs to ever grace my judgmental ears.  I pulled over in a parking lot so I could soak it in.  In yesterday's post, I wrote about how God has been speaking to me in abundance lately.  This one song sums it all up.  I could sit here for hours and elaborate, but I won't.  I'll let the lyrics speak for themselves.

"Jesus, Friend Of Sinners"
  By Casting Crowns

Jesus, friend of sinners, we have strayed so far away
We cut down people in Your name, but the sword was never ours to swing
Jesus, friend of sinners, the truth's become so hard to see
The world is on their way to You, but they're tripping over me
Always looking around but never looking up, I'm so double minded
A plank-eyed saint with dirty hands and a heart divided

Oh Jesus, friend of sinners
Open our eyes to the world at the end of our pointing fingers
Let our hearts be led by mercy
Help us reach with open hearts and open doors
Oh Jesus, friend of sinners, break our hearts for what breaks Yours

Jesus, friend of sinners, the One who's writing in the sand
Made the righteous turn away and the stones fall from their hands
Help us to remember we are all the least of these
Let the memory of Your mercy bring Your people to their knees
Nobody knows what we're for, only what we're against, when we judge the wounded
What if we put down our signs, crossed over the lines, and loved like You did

Oh Jesus, friend of sinners
Open our eyes to the world at the end of our pointing fingers
Let our hearts be led by mercy
Help us reach with open hearts and open doors
Oh Jesus, friend of sinners, break our hearts for what breaks Yours

You love every lost cause; You reach for the outcast
For the leper and the lame; they're the reason that You came
Lord I was that lost cause and I was the outcast
But You died for sinners just like me, a grateful leper at Your feet

'Cause You are good, You are good and Your love endures forever
You are good, You are good and Your love endures forever
You are good, You are good and Your love endures forever
You are good, You are good and Your love endures forever

Oh Jesus, friend of sinners
Open our eyes to the world at the end of our pointing fingers
Let our hearts be led by mercy
Help us reach with open hearts and open doors
Oh Jesus, friend of sinners, break our hearts for what breaks Yours

And I was the lost cause and I was the outcast
  You died for sinners just like me, a grateful leper at Your feet

Matthew 25:34-40
"Then the King will say to those on His right, 'Come, you who are blessed by My Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world.  For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, I was naked and you clothed me, I was sick and you visited me, I was in prison and you came to me.'  Then the righteous will answer Him, saying, 'Lord, when did we see You hungry and feed You, or thirsty and give You a drink?  And when did we see You a stranger and welcome You, or naked and clothe You?  And when did we see You sick or in prison and visit You?'  And the King will answer them, 'Truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these my brothers, you did it to Me.'"

We are all sinners.  We are all outcasts.  We are all orphans.  We are all the least of these.

But Jesus, the Friend of sinners, changes everything.

6 comments:

  1. Ha! Amen!l You said! The only changes that occur in our lives are done by Him! He makes it happen in order to set us free! Wow. GREAT post. I praise Him for the work He is doing in and through you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. L.O.V.E. the group Casting Crowns! (Also, Mercy Me). There really are some great, contemporary Christian songs out there. Lots of weeds to get through ... until you find the perfect flower!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're funny. :) I find myself downloading "worship" music after every service at PWood....... because you & your rock star made me believers. :) love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Holly, how wonderful to find out that someone else feels the same as I do about CCM music on the radio. I don't listen to it either because it is either spiritually aenemic and most of the singers and their songs sound all a like and blah, many of them can't sing that well. And I do so agree that Bradley puts life into music, it comes alive,if I listen to Christian music it is Prestonwoods or specific cd's that I like. My XM radio would be set on 50's music for secular but I happen to like Radio Classics, which still dates me...... Well I thought there was something wrong with me for how I felt but you have made me feel so much better. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete